Hi, I’m Michele!
lawyer . educator . writer . creator
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Current
- Collaborative Practice for Wills & Estates training
- Masters of Laws (Applied Law), majoring in Wills & Estates, College of Law
- Admitted to High Court of Australia
- Practice Management Course, Queensland Law Society
- Admitted to Supreme Court of Queensland
- Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice, College of Law
- Bachelor of Laws, QUT
I am a lawyer, educator, researcher and writer. I am also a self-confessed succession nerd, having practised almost exclusively in wills and estates since my admission to legal practice.
I am passionate about helping people. Specifically, I take great pride in helping people plan for and deal with death and disability for themselves and those dearest to them. It is absolutely one of the most difficult and confronting topics to discuss, but with clarity and kindness, I guide people through these necessary responsibilities that life thrusts upon us. I do what I do because I genuinely love it and I love helping people find comfort in whatever way I can. I am also really, really terrible at saying no to a coffee and a biccie while we talk about life.
I am a full member of the Queensland Law Society, the Founding and Current President of the Logan & Scenic Rim Law Association Inc and creator & owner of the Australian Succession & Elder Lawyers LinkedIn Group that boasts over 1,500 members of the profession across the country. I am also a full member of the Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners (STEP) and write, edit and contribute to legal profession publications covering succession and elder law topics for the benefit of other lawyers education and development, including Wolters Kluwer (CCH). In 2021, I also became one of only 60 lawyers in Australia that are collaboratively trained in estates law and became a member of the Queensland Association of Collaborative Professionals.
I received a Masters in Law (Applied Law), majoring in Wills & Estates and now teach other lawyers as an Adjunct Lecturer for the College of Law in the very same post-graduate specialisation Masters program. In 2021, I was also appointed as the Practice Area Leader for Wills & Estates and Estate Planning Masters Programs for the College of Law. As you can tell, I am a bit advocate and passionate supporter of quality legal education for the profession!
In 2020, I commenced my PhD in law to undertake some specialist research in succession and elder law with the Australian Centre for Health Law Research at QUT. I am currently taking a leave of absence from my research and look forward to taking this up again very, very soon!
In 2021, I founded a unique online legal community devoted to mentoring and up-skilling, particularly for law students, graduates, new lawyers and lawyers looking to re-engage with their practice. This community is called Hello Law. You can learn all the things about Hello Law here. I also started a vlog devoted to my life in law on my own YouTube Channel here. In my channel I talk about all things of law life.
I am regularly invited to speak at community and professional organisations and conferences on a range of topics in the succession and elder law world. You can find a list of my speaking engagements here.
I also write about passion, perseverance and positivity in law as a regular columnist in the Queensland Law Society’s Proctor publication devoted to wellness in law.
SOME OF MY PROUD MOMENTS IN LAW LIFE
There are so many things I’m proud of in my work and every now and there is a situation that will take my breath away and make me feel incredibly humbled and grateful. In addition to those of my unforgettable clients, including those now at rest, here are few things that have had an impact on me, in some way or another:
- 2021 being appointed the Practice Area Leader for Wills & Estates and Estate Planning for the post-graduate specailisation courses at College of Law.
- 2020 being welcomed as a regular columnist for the Queensland Law Society’s Proctor Online where I republish my thoughts on Wellbeing for the legal profession.
- 2020 being nominated as a Finalist, Proctor – Best Feature Article Award, 2020 Queensland Law Society Awards for “New Principles for Decision-Makers” piece published in the May 2019 QLS Proctor, Volume 39, Issue 4.
- 2020 being offered a ACHLR Faculty of Law Scholarship to undertake my PhD in succession and elder law.
- 2019 being appointed an Adjunct Lecturer for The College of Law Queensland.
- 2019 being commissioned as a contributing author to CCH/Wolters Kluwer “NSW Wills In Practice” legal commentary service.
- 2018 to present, Having some of my blog posts re-published in Legalwise News periodically for current topics and trends.
- 2019 Proctor publishing my piece called “New Principles for Decision-Makers” in the May 2019 QLS Proctor, Volume 39, Issue 4.
- 2016 founding and launching the Logan & Scenic Rim Law Association Inc.
- 2015 being honoured with a Fellowship with the College of Law upon completing my Masters.
- 2015 having this blog feature on a “Best law blogs in Australia” list.
- 2014 being nominated for the Emergent Woman Lawyer of the Year Award, Women Lawyers of Queensland (WLAQ) Annual Awards.
- 2012 starting the Australian Succession & Elder Lawyers LinkedIn Group and watching it grow to over 1,500 members across the country!
- 2012 starting my blog here on this site and watching it grow!
Featured on Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast
EPISODE 213 – IT’S OK TO FALL DOWN – IT’S WHAT YOU DO AFTER THAT MATTERS WITH MICHELE DAVIS
With Clarissa Rayward, Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast
An investment in knowledge pays the best interestBenjamin Franklin
There are many things I am passionate about; at the top of that list are things like my family, succession and elder law, education, professional and personal development, mentorship, mental wellness within the legal profession, women in the law and professional mums.
I am a passionate succession lawyer. I embarked on a legal career for one reason; to help people. I stay here, writing and researching the law, for the same reason, and I have found a true love in succession and elder law. My ethos in legal practice clarity and kindness.
At home, I am “mummy” to two amazing, compassionate and crazy little dudes. I am also “wifey” to an incredibly kind, talented, and sweet husband and whenever the opportunity presents itself, we’re off camping in one of our favourite camping grounds in the beautiful, neighbouring Scenic Rim.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The views, comments or observations I present in this webiste and blog are my own. The content through this website are general information and not legal advice. You should ALWAYS seek your own legal advice specific to your situation. No exceptions.
My YouTube channel is devoted to my life in law and all that this crazy life entails. In this channel, I talk about things I’ve learned in my career and journey from being a high-school drop out to now teaching, researching and practising the law that I love and my everyday life as a lawyer.